September 10, 2010
My little “Slinker”
Funny little Carter man-
He tells me “Mom do you know what a slinker is?”
Me: No. What is it?
Carter: Its when you have bad behavior & you get your cars taken away. We have good behavior right Mom?
Me: (laughing) Carter did you mean stinker?
Carter: No Mom, a stinker is a stinky spray from a skunk’s bum. It’s a “slinker”.
Me: all I can do is laugh.
He loves to ask if we can go to Target and buy Heidi & Garrett new cars. He says it with such enthusiasm that it is hard to resist. The funny thing the cars are actually for him- he points out that he can play with them until they are bigger because babies cannot play with cars. Actually (another one of his favorite words) pretty clever for a 3 year old!
Today (or yesterday) he added, “Who wants to have a popsicle, raise your hand?” Is he really old enough for the raise your hand thing? I thought that was a kindergarten + thing?
We have been having more adventures around here lately.
I have been attempting the monumental task of putting away, sorting and going through all the baby clothes that the twins outgrow. It’s a never-ending task. Their cute nursery looks like the closet threw up & the dresser exploded. Their room has become a catchall for all that laundry that gets washed but never folded! We just go in there for clean clothes & towels instead of our closet. It makes a nice walk in option!
What is today? Thursday? Maybe it is Friday by now?
The twins have been trying so hard to sleep for most of the night. Tuesday night they both slept through the night! But I was I smart enough to go to bed? Of course not- I still stayed up most the night making headbands. Genius. I was ok most the day- quite perky actually. Then they decided that they missed hanging out all hours of the night & both were up most the night! I even had to wake Justin up at 4 am to help. I couldn’t even keep my open today- (yesterday). I hate that nebulous place where your close your eyes for a second and wake up 40 minutes later because the baby is slipping down your lap. Oops.
Heidi & Garrett are talking more everyday! Heidi learned to blow bubbles while I had her in the ergo carrier at Stater Bros. Fortunately for me she happened to slobber all down my shirt. Isn’t that the grossest feeling? I guess clear slobber is better than vomit.
We must be moving up in the world of baby bodily fluids! Hooray!
Garrett has a new best friend- the ceiling fan! Who needs expensive toys or noisemakers? He is so mesmerized by it- he just talks to it and makes all kinds of noises! It is so hilarious! He also likes to hold himself up with his arms, and hold his head up. His head control is amazing! His favorite place to sleep is with his head pushed in the corner of the crib- you would think he is trying to dig a hole in the bumper! He also has been tanking up on feeds- he takes 6 oz now! What a piggy!
Heidi is talking a lot too these days! She is so amazed at her feet in her jammies. She stares at them, wiggles her toes and then laughs like she is surprised that they move! She is much more generous with her smiles now & loves to make funny faces. She eats all the time too, like she trying to catch up with her brother boo. She is still so small to me- wearing newborn/0-3 months still. She loves to snuggle in the crook of my neck.
I can’t believe how quick it is going.
I think for now that feeling of wanting to have a major fit throwing session is easing up. FINALLY! I’m sure there will be more days like that but for now I hope it is settling down around here! I even made dinner and was going to have it ready for Justin when he came home- too bad he stayed late at work… oh well. I learned that to have dinner ready for the evening you have to start at like 2 pm, really? That must be another one of those secrets no one tells you about life.
Any ways back to the major fit throwing thing- Carter had the biggest melt down thus far in the Carter chronicles. He screamed at me “I’m just so mad Mommy” I let him have those sessions- he can hit the pillow & cry. Only for a time though- no more than about 20 minutes. Once he starts to lose steam I try to hold him. I taught him today to take deep breaths & do a raspberry when he exhales.
How come I never embrace that whole take a deep breath thing? It can make a 3 year olds world better but does it apply in our too complex, stressful lives? Who knows? I don’t feel better by breathing- I do it all the time even in my sleep! What is so special about
breathing” when you are at your wits end? Whatever. I don’t get it. Big surprise.
After the melt down Carter & I were rough housing & he accidently gave me a fat lip. He immediately found a band-aid and put it on. I think that is the cure all- a band-aid. It made me feel better (maybe because it was so funny)? What I am thankful for today is that I could spend some time with Carter & I didn’t want to lose it when he was struggling so hard. Phew.
Successful mother day, hooray!
Tomorrow I am flying solo with all three kids. Wish me luck. Pray for them. I am going to do my best.
No comments:
Post a Comment