Tuesday, December 11, 2012

ThE cUpCaKe WaRs


Me. Laura at 2.5 yrs old


Cupcake Wars

I have the most beautiful little girl. The most beautiful little strong willed, independent resolute person I have yet to encounter in my almost 31 years of living. Her name is Heidi and she is 2 ½ years old.
Thus far she and I have had many battles of the will, dancing like bulls locking horns. I am reluctant to say that she has won more than I wanted and in those that she lost she went down fighting, hard.
What could a two year old possibly have that kind of gumption in regards to eating supper, a supper that she really likes I might add?
Most of our struggles between us are because she wants to call the shots and make her own choices.
No problem because I really don’t care what my child wears, how she puts her things away or how she plays. I stay far away from her other territories, she can call the shots, be the queen.
But Food, nutritious food and meals are non negotiable.
Eating supper that includes a fruit, vegetable some brown rice or noodles and a protein are essential to growing her lovely analytical mind. I treasure that mind and want to feed it properly.
Mostly every meal I make, whether she loves it or not becomes a battle. She flat out refuses to eat it. She instead asks for some yogurt, chips or cookies. Then she refuses to eat. At All. We have gone to bed many nights with her tummy hungry but she refuses to touch it. I warn her that if she does not eat her supper that she can have nothing else until she does.
Heidi gladly takes the nothing else and pretends like it doesn’t bother her.
Feisty little thing I say.
The boys reluctantly finish their supper.
I give them each a cupcake.
There is Heidi standing next to them all excited asking for a cupcake.
I HATE HAVING TO TELL HER NO but I made it very clear to her that she had to eat before she got a cupcake.
The longest tantrum I have ever seen ensues. Complete with throwing toys, taking off her diaper and throwing it and flinging
Herself on the ground.
YIKES!
Now I really cannot give her a cupcake.
Still no supper eaten, screams from the child that she is hungry. I feel like a jerk but have to teach her to respect rules/boundaries.
Redirect to bath time. She is still screaming and sobbing about her cupcake with sparkles. Sobs, Sobs and more sobs before she quiets down. She very calmly asks me if she can play downstairs. I tell her yes and that her supper is still on the table if she is hungry. After getting the boys dressed I come downstairs and find my daughter shoving a funfetti-green-frosted-with-sparkles cupcake in her mouth.
Quite triumphantly so I might add.
Where did This child come from?!
Then I remembered- ME.
Really- she is ME, in the blue-eyed, dark hair version.
I recall a time that my grandma insisted that I eat coleslaw before I could have any desserts. I sat there at the table trying to figure out a way to not eat that stuff. It took half the afternoon to figure out a way to win the battle with the coleslaw and grandma on that summer day. I asked her if I could go get a jacket to get warmed up and that I felt cold. I was excused from the table. When I got back I pretended to eat the coleslaw and instead shoved it in my jacket sleeve.
My grandma was so happy that she gave me an ice cream cone. Even then I knew that I out-sneaked her and it was well-played. A very well-played sneaker outsmarted me as I had done so many years before. I was out-sneaked, and out-willed by my daughter just as her mother did before her.
Moral of the food story- I have got a lot coming to me!

Especially that if I look back at the antics I pulled when I was just Heidi’s age!
I climbed a really tall tree by myself that I would be too scared to as an adult. When My Mom climbed up to get me she told me to not climb it again unless I could get down safely. So she showed me how to get down and that same day I climbed up and down that tree until I had it down pat.
And that my friends is just how I roll. 






The out-smarted Grandma
Me in the middle with the wild hair
My older sisters & Unlce Joe

No comments: