July 5, 2012
Here it is
July already and not much day to day has changed but a lot has shifted,
realigned and we are working towards a new normal. That new normal includes me
working part time weekends and Justin out to UCLA for his fellowship. While he is out working on the last mile of this long marathon I
am home chilling with three wildly exuberant children. Let me just say that is
it more work being at home than working outside the home! Most of the time it
is fulfilling watching the kids explore life and figuring out what they enjoy. I
have to say that the joy comes in small spurts interlaced with the cleaning,
laundry, household stuff, not to mention refereeing between toy battles and tantrums. All of
that while trying to keep everyone safe and clean, whew! Quite a job that doesn’t
pay well in money but makes you rich in laughter, kisses and other little
exciting things. I mean how many people get to build forts, draw, play with
play-dough, swoosh in a slip in slide and swing on swings most of the day? Wade
through creeks collecting rocks, kiss owies, and teach minds that are still
open to learning about life and love? Moms get to do all these things, and Moms
get to be taught and sometimes not so gently reminded about the good stuff and
what matters when confronted to things that do not matter. My decision to stay
home was a forced one and not as catastrophic as I was mentally convinced that
it would be. Sometimes my day includes naps, snacks, and spontaneous
little trips to explore nature. All of these days are just making me a more
interesting person, more diverse. From being a Mom I have learned all about
dinosaurs, the planets (there used to be nine), and how to explain things in simple
terms (fractions). Who knew that I could even survive without knowing these things? I have also learned to REALLY appreciate the 30-minute break I get from Bubble Guppies on
Nick Jr. There are also endless amounts of children's books to read that paint the picture of life in the lush imaginative ways that children see the
world. So that is where I am at 30 and ½ years old, trying to revisit the fun
of childhood. That is where I am choosing to keep my focus right now through
some very hard times; I am using my dedication to my children to see this
through! So here’s to a summer filled with slip-n-slides, play-dough, swings
and creek adventures!



1 comment:
I know, I was shocked to learn that there are only 8 planets now--hahaha!
You're doing an awesome job Laura! Keep it up super-mom!
Post a Comment