August 24, 2010
Best laid plans
Most of the time my days are a blur, (can’t remember what day of the week it is) & I cannot remember what I did or any of the significance in those events. It’s strange, how it all blends together.
Its always a big day if I get out the house- which I live for!
Tuesday I had a Dr. appointment and some errands to run in preparation for getting ready to go back to work.
I actually started the process after the 7 am feeding. I even showered, shaved my legs and wore shorts in preparation for the burning pit of hell outside at a toasty 112 degrees. Yuck.
My MIL was with me at home, Carter accounted for at preschool.
We decided to divide & conquer. I would take Heidi with me & Garrett would stay home. I thought I would actually be on time.
Punctuality has never been my strength. I am pretty much just on time to work. (barely, clocking in on the last possible minute to not be considered late).
So about 9 am I am getting ready to leave for my 0945 appointment.
Heidi is in her bouncy chair crying. I got to pick her up and she has had one of her characteristic explosions with poop dripping down her clothes. I pick her up, hose her off in the bath & get her dressed. She then spits up everywhere.
Its 0920, I am definitely not making it on time, if I make it all. I decide to switch and take Garrett.
As I am putting on my shoes I look down and realized I only shaved one leg. Go change my clothes & throw excessive amounts of stuff in the car.
I am not sure how many baby products and gear I have tried with the hopes of making my life easier to care for the babies, which 80% of them don’t and they end up being more of a hassle, i.e. the Moby wrap. A product that is a hundred yards of fabric intended for baby wearing, which I could not figure out to make a comfortable carrier. Besides of which they are miserably hot for the babies and me! Throw that in the pile of useless crap that takes up more space and try the next thing.
I actually did find something that works for me. I got an Ergo carrier, with the infant insert and MATCHING backpack/diaper bag thing (and all the other MATCHING accessories I probably don’t need).
I have a thing for matching stuff, it kills me, I love it, and I need it. Best part it hold the babies upright in that 90-degree angle that they need so they don’t puke.
I am successfully hands free.
Anyways…
Fast forward to 1010am. I am really late, actually missing the appointment. By the time I get there I am over an hour late. I went anyways. Lovely. I am screwed for the rest of the day and all the crap I HAVE to do.
By the time I get to the hospital to get my TB test, go to Human resources etc. they are closed for lunch. To add to the amusement you have to make an appointment after lunchtime.
Nice. I am going anyways.
Here I am at the hospital, with an hour to waste.
Lets face it- I am not loading/unloading going back outside in the heat just to have to do it again.
I wander up to Pathology to see if Justin is busy and if he can have lunch. Surprise lunch date in the hospital cafeteria, with only 1 baby. What a treat.
After all that I find out that there are no appointments until about 2pm. No one is in the office; all the employees are sitting around talking. I really hoped they are not going to force me to wait around for no reason? Good thing I have the baby pity thing going. She said we usually don’t do this but since you have a baby with you we will take you now. SCORE!!! Phew.
I have actually made it mostly through the day and getting things done. I totally have this 1 infant thing down. (Problem is that I have 2 + a 3 year old).
One more stop to make. I have half a bottle left, hoping that we can quickly go to Target for diapers, milk and shampoo.
The afternoon heat felt more like a 120 degrees. I am crazy for taking a baby out like this but I have no choice, somethings have to get done & I have to do them.
Load Garrett in Ergo carrier. Get into store & he is hungry or thirsty & needs a diaper change. Take him out of amazing carrier, throw carrier in cart, change baby, feed with bottle propped on chin while pushing shopping cart with other hand and turning corner with pushing foot on bottom. Wow, mad skills here.
Thought I had it under control and feeling a sense of relief when leaving store a tweenager ish in a mini skirt walks in front of me cutting me off and I accidentally ram her heel with shopping cart. Seriously? Then wants to yell at me to pay attention where I am going when clearly I have my hands & cart full!
A small amount of realizing that there are other people in the universe could have been helpful on her part, and have prevented our shopping cart fender bender.
Is it wrong that I think its funny and she got what she deserved? After all it made me laugh after the crazy day I had. Sucks to be her instead of sucking to be me for a change.
No comments:
Post a Comment