Tuesday, February 23, 2010

October

I am off the floor now doing light duty work on the PICU.
I am sorting through October and found 14 deaths so far in 31 days.
Some were my patients, some I didn't know.
I am reading through and reliving their last tragic moments.
Skulls bashed in, car accidents, CANCER....
All horrible killers of these innocent babies.
I remember one girl
 who had cancer at 2 and was in remission
At 6 years old it came back with a vengeance
A brain tumor compressed her brain stem until the pressure caused so much swelling she bled.
She bled so much she herniated which means her brain essentially turned to mush.
I took care of her the last day of her life.
Her family came in to help me give her a bath, and to remove some of the unneeded things.
The spirit of Christ was in the room with us as we made the last memories for her family.
We all wept.
I gave her to her mother to hold, to say goodbye to....
Her mother told me later that her daughter knew she was going to die. 
Before the swelling got out of hand and she was intubated she told her Mom not to be scared. 
That she loves her mommy so much.
That she would be okay. 
She was 6 years old. 
My heart aches for these families that lose their babies...

No comments: