Friday, January 14, 2011

oh baby k...

Oh baby k.

Today I got to celebrate the life and passing of a very special little 2 1/2 year old.

I met baby K the last time she was hospitalized in 2009. When I first set eyes on that beautiful blue-eyed little girl I thought that she would not make it through the night. I even stayed over that day to be there to prepare the family for her death. Goes to show what I know. She defied my expectations and proved that a mother’s love can really carry a child through anything.

I instantly fell in love with her and her amazing family.

I am often surrounded by grief and sadness, and have learned how reasonable it is for people to be angry. In fact I almost expect it now. This family taught me a lot about faith, patience and love.

No one would have faulted these parents for giving up, no one would think twice if they were angry at God, hated life or wondered why them. They were very unexpected. Baby K’s mom never once was angry, never once waivered in her faith or dedication even when she was scared. She cried outside the room, but didn’t want her baby to see her be sad. She coaxed her daughter through some painful things and gently nudged her in the right direction. Baby K had a condition that would not allow too much pain medication it was a delicate balance managing her care. She always looked to her mother to ease that pain. Her mother always did.

This was an amazing relationship to witness, they gave each other strength, they loved each other passionately, and they suffered through it all never once wavering from their love for each other.

At the service today baby K’s mom said how she wanted to pick up where she left off when she rocked baby k in her arms and baby k took her last breath. I believe that one day when they are reunited that they will dance, play and live out the dreams baby K’s mom had for her all along.

Truth is that she had an amazing life, her family made sure of it.

You can read her story here:

http://kennedybonomo.blogspot.com/

No comments: